To prepare for homecoming, the FRG, Ombudsman Team and FORCE Ombudsman presented the following information for the families of Carl Vinson Sailors and Airwing at our Reintegration Meeting. This post contains information about the rules and regulations of Homecoming Day and First Kiss Tickets
From the FORCE ombudsman:
– Base Access: Base access for non DOD ID Card holders (ie grandma, sisters, aunts, friends) has to be arranged by the SAILOR aboard the USS Carl Vinson. The command aboard the USS carl Vinson has begun a base access list. If there is even the slightest possibility that someone may be at Homecoming, please have your sailor put them on the list. Children under 10 do not need to be placed on the list. Children 10 and OVER who do not have a DOD ID Card must be placed on the access list. People who are riding onto the base WITH a military spouse must be placed on the list. There are no exceptions, all IDs will be checked for all people in a vehicle over 10 years old. Military ID holders and guests riding in their vehicle should use the Main Gate (Stockdale). Non military ID holders should use Gate 2 (Carrier Gate, closest to the bay).
– Ship arrival time has not been confirmed. Most carriers arrive between 9a and 10a. The exact time of arrival will be released 24-48 hours before Homecoming Day
– Plan for A LOT OF TRAFFIC. There will still be normal working traffic for the base AND San Diego. Plan your travel time accordingly. If a BRAVO threat level is still being enforced, this will cause further delays at the base gates. Please plan for an early morning.
– Plan for a LONG morning. Even after the ship has arrived at the pier, it will be at least an hour before sailors begin coming off the ship. Pack snacks, water, chairs, and sunscreen along with a light coat. Refreshments WILL be provided on the pier.
– NO BALLOONS, PETS, ALCOHOL, or COOLERS (small lunch boxes/bags for snacks are allowed)
– Parking. Parking will be in the lot that the sailors usually park in on base. VIP parking (for those on the New Moms list, First Kiss winners, etc) has not been determined. NO OVERNIGHT PARKING IS ALLOWED. More info about parking will be released closer to Homecoming Day.
The handout from the FORCE Ombudsman can be found at this link: cvn 70 rules & regulations.
FIRST KISS Tickets:
The First Kiss is a tradition of Homecoming Day normally run as a fundraiser for the Family Readiness Group. Due to the frugality of the board, generous support of our fundraisers and overwhelming support from the community, it was not neccesary to sell tickets. To give EVERYONE the opportunity to be a part of this tradition, the USS Carl Vinson command has taken control of the FIRST KISS tradition. Every sailor aboard the ship will have the opportunity to put a loved one’s name into a drawing. There will be 8 winners:
- A spouse from the USS carl Vinson (First Kiss)
- A spouse from Airwing (First Kiss)
- A dependent child from the USS Carl Vinson (First Hug)
- A dependent child from Airwing (first Hug)
- A family member/friend/unmarried significant other from the USS Carl Vinson (First High Five)
- A family member/friend/unmarried significant other from Airwing (First High Five)
- A single sailor from USS Carl Vinson (First Liberty)
- A single sailor from Airwing (First Liberty)
These winners will be drawn by the FCPOA (First Class Petty Officers Association) on May 23rd aboard the ship and the sailor and his chosen loved one will be notified. Runners up will also be drawn in case the winners cannot participate.
The First Kiss/Hug/Hi Five tickets that were given out by the FRG at the beginning of the deployment will be part of a special 9th winner drawing. All the tickets collected will be placed into a single drawing for the chance for their sailor to also be a part of the group that gets to leave the ship first. Everyone who attends the Vinson Final Countdown party on the evening before Homecoming will ALSO receive an entry into this drawing. The winner will be drawn and announced THAT evening.
To increase your sailor’s chance at being chosen, please make sure to tell them to enter the drawing on the ship. To further increase your sailor’s chance, make sure you attend the Vinson Final Countdown Party. More information about this event will be sent to you from your sailor.